Who says cabbage can’t be exciting and delicious? Try this lasagne recipe and help the kids eat their veggies without realising it, by Ntwenhle Gcabashe. Pictures are by Dylan Swart
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
- 10 cabbage leaves, blanched
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups pork minced meat
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable stock
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups (750ml) low fat white sauce
- ½ cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- Fresh mixed leaves, for serving
- Preheat oven to 180˚C.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Fry onion and garlic until soft.
- Add minced meat, oregano, paprika and cayenne pepper. Fry for another 4–5 minutes or until mince turns brown.
- Add tomato paste, stock and peas. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and cook for 12–15 minutes.
- Spoon and spread the mince mixture into the bottom of a baking dish. Top with cabbage leaves. Layer the remaining mince mixture and cabbage leaves.
- Sprinkle the cheeses and bake for 30–35 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve immediately fresh mixed leaves.