Try this easy to make low carb version of the classic shepherd’s pie by Ntwenhle Gcabashe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
- 1 cup cauliflower, florets, steamed and mashed
- 1 sweet potato, chopped, steamed and mashed
- 1 cup broccoli, florets, steamed and mashed
- 2 cups minced meat
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chutney
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 cups (500ml) beef stock
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Fresh thyme leaves, for serving
- Preheat oven to 200˚C.
- Heat oil and fry onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, minced meat and carrots. Cook for 8–10 minutes or until mince turns brown.
- Add flour, stock and coriander. Cover with a lid and cook for 14–15 minutes or until thickened.
- Spoon the minced meat mixture into an oven dish. Top with mashed vegetables. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes or until golden.
- Serve immediately with thyme leaves.