If you are looking for new ways to use gem squash then you’ll love this gem squash and carrot muffins recipe by Ntwenhle Gcabashe.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups gem squash, cooked and mashed
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla essence
- 1 cup (250ml) oil
- 1 cup natural yoghurt
- 3 tablespoons sliced almond nuts
- Maple syrup, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 180°
- Mix gem squash and carrots in a bowl. Sift in flour, bicarbonate of soda, sugar, chocolate chips and salt.
- Beat eggs, vanilla essence, oil and yoghurt in a jug. Pour over dry ingredients. Mix well and transfer into a lightly greased muffin tin. Sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Set aside to cool, and serve with syrup.