Squash is a firm favourite among many South Africans. Our Food Editor Ntwenhle Gcabashe shows you how to put a spin on it with this tasty squash pasta bake recipe. Pictures Dylan Swart
Squash Pasta Bake
Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 45 minutes Serves: 4
- 4 gem squash, halved and seeds scooped out
- 1 cup macaroni pasta, cooked
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) oil
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Salt and pepper
SEE ALSO: Creamy Mushroom and Pasta
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C. Place the gem squash halves on a baking tray, and bake for 30–35 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan, heat oil on medium-high.
- Fry the onion and mushrooms until soft.
- Add the coriander and macaroni. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the pasta mixture into the butternut cavities and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for another 8–10 minutes before serving.