Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 3 hours
Serves: 4 – 6
- 500g chicken gizzards, rinsed
- 4 cups (1L) chicken stock
FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) sunflower oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 chilli, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) paprika
- 30ml (2 tablespoons) tomato paste
- 2 x 410g tins cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) sugar
- handful parsley, chopped
- 250g FATTI’S & MONI’S Elbow Macaroni
FOR THE DEEP FRIED GIZZARDS
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon (2.5ml) BBQ spice
- ½ teaspoon (2.5ml) paprika
- 1 cup (250ml) cake flour
- sunflower oil, for deep frying
- egg, beaten
- Simmer the gizzards in the stock over medium high heat, covered, for about 2-3 hours until tender. Add more stock if necessary
during cooking. Drain.
- For the sauce, heat the oil over medium high and sauté the garlic, chilli and paprika for 1 minute. Stir through the tomato paste then add the cherry tomatoes and sugar and bring to a boil. Season to taste and mix through the parsley. Keep warm.
- Cook the FATTI’S & MONI’S Elbow Macaroni according to packet instructions. Drain. Keep warm.
- For the gizzards, pat the gizzards dry and mix the garlic powder through. Add the BBQ spice and paprika to the flour and season. Mix the gizzards through
the flour until well coated.
- Heat enough oil for deep frying over medium high. Shake excess flour off the gizzards and deep fry in batches for about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with the pasta, sauce and extra parsley sprinkled over.