Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 50 minutes Serves: 4 – 5
- 1kg ripe tomatoes, halved
- 3 slices ALBANY SuperiorWhite Bread, torn
- 4 slices ALBANY Superior White Bread, cubed, with crusts cut off
- 2 onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 head of garlic, top cut off
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) olive oil
- 410g can tomato puree
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon crushed
- chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Handful basil, chopped
- Pecorino cheese, grated – to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place tomatoes, onions, garlic, carrot and torn ALBANY Superior White Bread on a roasting tray. Season to taste and drizzle
with oil. Roast for about 40 minutes, or until bread is crisp and veggies soft and caramelised.
- Meanwhile, heat a splash of extra oil over medium-high heat and fry cubed ALBANY Superior White Bread until golden and crisp, to make croutons. Set aside.
- Squeeze garlic out of the skins (discard skins) and process with an electric mixer, together with other roasted veggies, torn bread and tomato puree. Thin out with stock to your liking. Add chilli flakes and heat through.
- Add basil and serve with extra fresh basil, pecorino cheese and croutons.