No woman likes retouching her make-up throughout the day. So, to make your foundation last longer while looking impeccable, prepping your skin is crucial. Follow these easy tips to ensure your make-up lasts up to 24 hours.
4 steps to keeping your foundation looking flawless:
1. Start with a primer. Primers are the secret to creating a smooth flawless base. This pre-foundation product helps minimise pores, soften your skin and make your foundation last longer.
2. Conceal it. This make-up staple can be used to hide anything, from dark circles to blemishes. When choosing a concealer, go for one shade lighter than your foundation. Also, not all concealers are skin-coloured; other colours can be used to cover up, too. These are some of the colours and what they do:
- Orange and yellow hide dark circles and spots.
- Green neutralises redness and covers blemishes.
- Purple hides hyperpigmentation.
- Pink brightens the eye area.
3. Choose the right tool. Brush or sponge? If you want an airbrushed finish with light to medium coverage, then a long bristle brush is what you need. Pick a brush with a flat top to get full coverage and a nicely blended base. Make-up sponges are great for natural looking coverage; they help blend out the foundation in one step.
SEE ALSO: 4 game-changing beauty tricks
4. The perfect canvas. Choosing the right foundation can be tricky, especially if you’re not sure what to look out for. You need to select a foundation that’s right for your skin. If you have oily skin, then go for matte or oil-free; for dry skin, you must choose hydrating formulas. Here are a few foundations and the type of coverage they offer:
- Liquid foundations go from medium to full coverage, depending on how much you apply. They are suitable for most skin types.
- Cream foundations provide full coverage and are best suited for dry skin.
- Mousse tends to be lightweight, making it suitable for all skin types.
- Stick foundations cater for normal to oily skin type; the coverage can be heavy, making it easier to cover blemishes or dark circles.
- Face powder works well on oily skin. It comes in a compact form making it easy to apply and build up coverage.