Make a hearty trotters and lentils dish with this simple recipe from Ntwenhle Gcabashe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
- 2 kg beef trotters
- 1 cup lentils
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 canned tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups (1ℓ) beef stock
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ cup (125ml) red wine
- Dombolo (steamed bread), for serving
- Micro leaves, for serving
- Season trotters. Heat oil in a large saucepan, and brown trotters for 8–10 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Fry onion and garlic until soft.
- Add tomato paste, canned tomatoes, herbs, stock, red wine, herbs, lentils and trotters. Cover with a lid. Reduce heat and cook for 1½ hour to 2 hours or until tender.
- Serve with steamed bread and micro leaves.
SEE ALSO: Slow cooked beef shin and rum stew