There are few things as mouthwatering as a tender lamb shank falling off the bone. Impress with this slow-cooked lamb shank recipe by Ntwenhle Gcabashe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- 6 medium lamb shanks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoon (45ml) oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 red chilli
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) red wine
- 4 cups (1ℓ) vegetable stock
- 1 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Roasted bay carrots, for serving
- Green leaves, for serving
- Heat butter in a large saucepan. Brown lamb shanks for 8–10 minutes and remove from pan.
- Add oil, and fry onion, garlic and ginger. Add curry paste, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, bay leaves, chilli, tomato paste and tomatoes. Cook for 4–5 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add meat, wine, stock and coriander. Cover with a lid and cook for 3–4 hours over low heat or until cooked through.
- Serve with carrots and green leaves.