By: Dorah Sitole
Prep & Cooking time: 3½ hours
- 1.5kg SPAR Oxtail
- 4 tablespoons (60ml)
- SPAR Sunflower Oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 cups (500ml) SPAR Beef Stock
- 1 x 410g can SPAR Whole Tomatoes
- 4 carrots, cut into rings
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 250g green beans, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over moderate heat. Fry oxtail until brown on all sides. Add onions, garlic, peppers and spices, and fry for 10 minutes.
- Add stock and simmer for 2 hours. Add tomatoes, carrots, potatoes and green beans. Season with salt and pepper, and cook for another hour. Add more liquid if required.
- Serve with samp and beans.
Samp and Beans
Prep & Cooking time: 3 – 4 hours
- 4 cups SPAR Samp & Beans
- 8 cups (2l) water
- 100g SPAR Butter
- Place samp and beans, and water in a saucepan, and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and add salt.
- Simmer for 3–4 hours, adding water if necessary.
- Add butter and mix. Serve with oxtail stew.
TIPS TO STRETCH YOUR MEALS
- Soak samp and dry beans in water overnight to cut down on cooking time. This also saves gas or electricity.
- For a less expensive meat dish, substitute oxtail with stewing beef and cook for 1½ hours
Choose your favourite product from the five SPAR brand products and stand a chance to win a R1 000 SPAR shopping voucher. Enter here »