Don’t throw away remaining cake or bread, just make this irresistible leftover pudding with it by Ntwenhle Gcabashe
Photography by: Dylan Swart
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes + 5 hours chilling
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1 cup (250ml) orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- ½ cup castor sugar
- 4 slices white bread
- 1 Madeira cake loaf, sliced
- 1 cup (250ml) cranberry juice
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Fresh mixed berries, for serving
- Mint leaves, for serving
- In a saucepan, put frozen berries, orange juice, zest and castor sugar. Cook until slightly thickened. Let it cool.
- Line the bowl with cling wrap.
- Dip bread and cake in cranberry juice. Then place alternatively at the bottom of the bowl. Press around the sides of the bowl so that it fits neatly.
- Spoon the softened fruit over the cake and bread slices. Top with the remaining slices.
- Fold cling wrap into the centre. And, place a side plate to put weight on the cake.
- Chill overnight or for 5 hours.
- Dust with icing sugar, and serve with fresh berries and mint leaves.