Serves 12 – 15
Flour 30m l (2 tbsp)
cornflour 100g oats
Pinch of salt 60ml (¼ cup)
icing sugar 180g butter
softened cold water, if needed, to bind
85g brown sugar
5ml (1 tsp) vanilla essence
5ml (1 tsp) orange zest
1 X 110g tin granadilla pulp
2 x 410g tins Koo Fruit Salad, drained crème fraîche or vanilla-bean ice cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Grease a 25cm springform cake tin.
- For the pastry, sift together the flour and cornflour. Add the oats, salt and icing sugar and mix to combine. Add the 180g butter and mix to form a soft ball. Add a little water if the pastry dough is too dry. Cover and refrigerate, 10 minutes.
- For the filling, place the 125g butter, brown sugar, vanilla essence, orange zest and granadilla pulp in a saucepan over medium heat and heat until the butter has melted.
- Creatively arrange the fruit salad in the bottom of the prepared cake tin – it will be a thick layer of fruit. Pour the flavoured butter over the fruit.
- Roll the pastry out between two sheets of baking paper until it is round and the size of the cake tin. Place the pastry on top of the fruit, tucking the edges into the inside of the tin. Bake in the preheated oven until the pastry is crisp and golden, 35 – 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool, 10 minutes, before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve with dollops of crème fraîche or vanilla-bean ice cream.
Recipes : Moira Allison
Food Stylist : Anna Montali
Photographers : Shaun Smith