We take inspiration from a cookbook by Anna Trapido, which includes Madiba’s favourite dishes cooked by the people in his life. To honour the legend that was Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, we have chosen one of her recipes… with a few twists from SPAR!
Plus stand a chance to WIN a R1 000 SPAR voucher! Simply fill out the form below and answer an easy question.
Winnie Madikizela-Mandela’s spaghetti and mince
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
- 300g SPAR Spaghetti
- 1kg minced beef
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) SPAR Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 red chillies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 can (410g) SPAR Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 can (410g) SPAR Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce, optional
- 5 curry leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 3 cups (750ml) water
- 1½ cups SPAR Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 2 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil and sauté onions. Add garlic and ginger pastes. Fry for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add curry powder, chillies, coriander, cumin and turmeric. Remove from heat and let the spices cook in the residual heat for 2 minutes.
- Return to heat. Add minced beef and brown for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, baked beans and curry leaves. Simmer for 10 minutes and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, boil water in a saucepan. Add salt and spaghetti. Cook until al dente or for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a casserole dish, put a fifth of the mince at the base and top with a quarter of the spaghetti. Layer the rest with the same portions.
- Mix grated cheese and eggs. Sprinkle on top and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Steamed ginger pudding
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 90 minutes
- 250g SPAR Butter
- 1 cup SPAR White Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2½ cups SPAR Cake Wheat Flour
- 3½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 cup SPAR Seedless Raisins
- 1 cup (250ml) SPAR Full Cream Fresh Milk
- 4 cups (1ℓ) water
- ¼ cup ginger pieces in syrup, optional
- Strawberries and raspberries, for serving
- 1ℓ SPAR Vanilla Custard, for serving
- In a bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs and beat well.
- Sift dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add to butter mixture.
- Add raisins and milk. Blend well. Turn into a 2ℓ greased glass pudding bowl or 2 small bowls. Cover with foil.
- Boil water in a large saucepan (water must fill half the pudding bowl). Steam pudding for 2½ hours.
- Invert onto a serving plate. Top with ginger pieces and drizzle with syrup. Garnish with berries and serve with warm SPAR Vanilla Custard.
Stand a chance to WIN a R1 000 SPAR voucher by answering this easy question. Which of these SPAR products is your favourite? Fill out the form below and answer the question:
[gravityform id=”162″ title=”true” description=”true”]
1. Competition closes on the 23 July 2018.
2. There is a limit of five entries per user.
3. No under 18s are allowed to enter.
4. The overall winners will be chosen in a random draw and will be notified by email.
5. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
6. Winners will be disqualified if they are unable to provide us with all requested information, including an ID number.
7. Entry information will not be shared with any third party without the entrant’s prior knowledge and consent.
8. The competition is open to South African residents only.
9. The competition is not open to employees of Caxton and their immediate families, the prize sponsors or their respective advertising agencies and PR companies.
10. The prize(s) will go to the first name(s) selected at random after the closing date.
11. Caxton Magazines reserves the right to publish the name(s) and/or photograph(s) of the winner(s).
12. Prize(s) are not transferable and may not be exchanged for cash.
13. Unclaimed prizes will not be resent. Caxton Magazines reserves the right to redistribute all unclaimed prizes.
14. When the same competition is offered across different titles in Caxton Magazines’ stable during the same month, an individual may enter the competition through more than one magazine, but will only be awarded one prize should the individual be selected through the random draw as a winner for the same competition across more than one of Caxton Magazines’ titles.
SPAR Cheddar Cheese
SPAR Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce
SPAR Extra Virgin Olive Oil