Silent treatment is the act of deliberately refusing to speak with someone as a form of punishment or control.
It is one of the best responses, but not always as it can be considered passive-aggressive in some situations. It is the best response when you want to stop an argument from getting worse, as this can help everyone to calm down.
Giving the silent treatment can also be helpful as it is a way to avoid saying things you might later regret.
Here are some of the reasons why silent treatment is the best response, suggested by The Modern Woman (a website that provides a comprehensive platform where readers of all backgrounds and ages can find valuable information that enriches their daily lives):
- It gives you time to reflect.
- It helps both parties cool down.
- It prevents an argument.
- It avoids further conflicts.
When someone is giving you silent treatment, Healthline – an online health publication with medical experts – suggests that you should always try the following:
- Give them space: Do not pressure them to talk to you if they are not ready, when they feel ready to talk to you, they will.
- Try and understand their perspective: Try to see things from their point of view so that you can understand better.
- Do not take it personally: Silent treatment is not necessarily about you so do not take it to heart and be offended.
- Apologise if necessary: If you did something wrong then you should ask for forgiveness and try to make amends.
Also see: How to know when someone is ghosting you