Been having trouble sleeping? You could be suffering from insomnia.
40 percent of all South Africans are affected by it and it can contribute to depression, weight gain and negatively impacts on some couples’ sex lives. SA medical doctor and homeopath, Dr Erika Coertzen, says stress and anxiety are major causes of insomnia.
Here are her tips for dealing with the problem:
1. No daytime napping
2. Use the bedroom for sleep and sex only
3. No late night heavy meals
4. No disruptions during bedtime
5. Exercise regularly but not close to bedtime
6. Maintain a regular and relaxing sleep cycle and routine
7. Follow a healthy and nutritious diet; no alcohol or caffeine
8. Keep a sleep schedule to monitor your sleep pattern
9. Make sure your bedroom and bed is comfortable and quiet
10. Avoid stress, worry and anxiety before going to bed
Should the problem persist, Dr Coertzen recommends that you consult a medical professional for a thorough examination.