Women consider their hair to be a symbol of beauty and femininity, which they take great pleasure in maintaining. Protective hairstyles are particularly beneficial for black women as they not only promote hair growth but also offer convenience, especially when getting ready in the mornings.
Faith Akinleye, a well-known hair blogger who advocates for protective hairstyles, suggests cutting split ends on your hair in order for it to grow. This according to her has eliminated problems with her hair while keeping it safe and healthy.
Here is a list of the top 5 protective hairstyles to try in 2024:
1. Braids: Braided hairstyles, like box braids, cornrows, Senegalese twists or Ghana braids are popular for their versatility and ability to protect natural hair. These styles require minimal manipulation of the hair while providing a fashionable look.
2. Faux Locs: Faux locs provide a temporary means of achieving the appearance of dreadlocks without committing long-term. They can be created with synthetic or human hair extensions and are appreciated for their bohemian style as well as the protection they offer.
3. Protective Wig Styles: Wigs have become increasingly popular as protective styles in recent years due to their ease of use and variety of styling options. Lace front wigs, full wigs, or half wigs allow individuals to switch up their looks while keeping their natural hair protected.
4. Twists: Two-strand twists or flat twists are another common protective style choice among South Africans. These styles involve twisting sections of the hair together to create defined coils or twists that protect the ends from breakage.
5. Natural Up-dos: Elegant up-do hairstyles like buns, top knots, or sleek ponytails offer a chic way to protect natural hair by keeping it tucked away and minimising manipulation on a daily basis.
Also see: WATCH: 7 Natural hair must haves