Shaving, tweezing and waxing, these are some of the ways to get rid of unwanted hair. If you are not happy with the results of these methods, consider laser hair removal. But, before opting for this method, it is best to check out its pros and cons.
WebMD explains that laser hair removal is a process whereby highly concentrated light is beamed into hair follicles. Pigment in the follicles then absorbs the light, destroying the hair. Areas of interest include the face, leg, arm/underarm and bikini line to name a few.
Dermatology and cosmetic clinic ENRICH states that while laser hair removal is an effective and long-lasting solution, due to the many follicles that can produce hairs, it can sometimes be difficult to remove the hairs in 6-10 sessions.
Here are some of the pros and cons of laser hair removal, according to WebMD and ENRICH.
- Speed: Every single pulse on the laser takes a fraction of a second while simultaneously treating many hairs. When treating smaller areas (like the upper lip), it can take up to a minute, while larger areas (the back or legs) can take up to an hour.
- Precision: The laser can selectively target dark, coarse hairs and leave the surrounding areas of the skin undamaged.
- Painless: Unlike waxing and plucking, laser hair removal can be painless. If you do experience pain, this might be because the beautician is using an old machine. Opt for a different beauty clinic with modern machines if this occurs.
- Blisters: This is a rare occurrence. However, it is more likely to occur in people with darker complexions.
- Takes time: Depending on the treatment, those interested in this hair-removing method would need to do at least 6-10 sessions at least six weeks apart, and if necessary, go for top-up treatments to see perfect results.
- Costly: This is due to several factors, including the size of the area being treated or the number of treatments required. If this is a problem for you, check out these laser hair removal deals based in different areas of Cape Town: Milnerton, Tygervalley and Cape Town CBD.