
A memorial that turned into a reckoning
What was meant to be a farewell to one of South Africa’s most respected actresses quickly became a rallying cry for change. At Nandi Nyembe’s memorial service on 28 August 2025, actress Lerato Mvelase stunned the audience by openly challenging Minister Gayton McKenzie and his Department of Sports, Arts and Culture.
The hall was filled with peers, politicians, and admirers who came to honour the late star, who passed away on 23 August. But instead of quiet remembrance, the service erupted with applause as Mvelase shifted the focus to the injustices artists continue to face.
“We are not happy”
Taking the microphone after a departmental speech, Mvelase delivered words that cut straight through years of frustration. She criticised the government for repeating empty promises without real change.
“I would have loved to hear a speech that speaks on adjusting or changing the policies in place,” she said. “How long must we hear the same speeches? How long must actors fight a system that has been putting us down all our lives?”
The crowd roared in agreement. Mvelase went further, declaring that artists should no longer allow the department to celebrate with them at memorials until there is genuine progress.
Broken promises and unanswered questions
Her speech came against the backdrop of troubling revelations. Nyembe, who had spoken about the harsh working conditions that contributed to her poor health, never received the R20 000 donation promised by the minister earlier this year. A planned visit also never materialised.
For many in the industry, this failure symbolises a bigger problem: years of broken promises, insufficient funding, and lack of protection for performers who give their lives to the arts but often die in financial distress.
Actress, Lerato Mvelase says the department of Sport, Arts and Culture will no longer be allowed to speak at actors’ funerals, because they keep on making the same empty promises.
“We are not a charity case…There is no political will to help actors,” says the actress. pic.twitter.com/VYvsDpny4l
— Karisa (@MpumeeMagagula) August 28, 2025
Public outrage
Mvelase’s words quickly spread online, with videos of her speech circulating on X (Twitter) and other platforms. Many South Africans praised her for courageously speaking truth to power, while others expressed their anger at the minister’s handling of the arts portfolio.
One user called McKenzie’s appointment “the weakest decision by the president.” Another simply wrote, “I love Lerato Mvelase,” echoing the sentiment of those who felt she spoke for the entire creative industry. Others described the minister as “chasing clout” rather than supporting the arts.
A pattern too familiar
The anger is not new. Over the years, South African artists from theatre, film, and music have repeatedly called for sustainable structures, retirement support, and fair pay. Many stars who once lit up screens and stages have been left struggling later in life, and Nyembe’s case painfully underscores this reality.
For Mvelase, and for those who applauded her, the time for polite speeches has passed. Her words at the memorial marked a turning point, less about remembrance and more about demanding change.
The bottom line
Nandi Nyembe’s memorial became more than a goodbye. It became a reminder of an industry in crisis and a department under fire. Lerato Mvelase’s call for accountability resonated across the hall and beyond, capturing the frustration of artists who feel abandoned.
As South Africans mourn a beloved actress, the hope now is that the anger sparked at her farewell will not fade quietly but instead ignite the long-overdue reform that artists like Nyembe and Mvelase have fought for all their lives.
Source: Briefly News
Featured Image: MLASA