Sello Medupe is the founder of Scalo, an upmarket fashion brand that dresses South Africa’s A-list celebrities, and was part of the Spring Summer 2017 Mercedes Benz Joburg Fashion Week. He chats to us about the world of fashion.
By: Fundiswa Nkwanyana
1. My dreams of being in the fashion industry started when I was in high school. I was flipping through a magazine when a fashion sketch grabbed my attention. It intrigued me so much that I started designing fashion pieces for my friends and family. My mother nurtured my talent and bought me my first sewing machine.
2. Music inspires most of my designs. I am easily inspired by simple, everyday things, but music plays a huge role in my creation process. It soothes me and gets my creative juices flowing. My approach is to be innovative and create wearable cutting-edge clothes. My designs are sometimes inspired by the client’s personality.
3. I want my clients to feel confident and elegant in my clothes. I started Scalo because I wanted the freedom to design clothes that take you on a beautiful journey filled with a sophisticated and futurist feeling. My silhouettes and fresh take on shapes and textures keep my clients happy.
4. Getting high-profile celebrities to wear my designs was a challenge. Many people choose to use a recognised designer than a newcomer. So, I had to work hard for people to trust me and my designs. My continuous hard work is paying off as today, I dress celebrities such as Thembi Seete, Lira, Blue Mbombo and Boity Thulo.
5. I want to grow my fashion label. The world is hungry for fresh designs, and I am planning on showcasing them across the globe. A shoe and bag line is also on the cards. Giving back is important to me, and I hope to one day open Scalo Fashion Academy to help young talented designers.