Here are two Easter recipes from SPAR that the whole family will love. Make sure you make extra because everyone will want a second helping! Plus stand a chance to WIN a R1 000 SPAR voucher!
East African fish curry
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 1kg frozen SPAR Baby Hake, cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons curry paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) SPAR Sunflower Oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 chillies, chopped
- 1 x 400g can SPAR Whole Peeled Tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tablespoons SPAR Tomato Paste
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250ml) SPAR Coconut Cream
- Fresh coriander, chopped
- Cooked basmati rice, for serving
- Curry leaves, to garnish (optional)
- Heat oil and fry fish until lightly browned (you can dust the fish with a bit of flour before frying). Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add onions, green pepper, garlic, ginger and chilies to pan, and sauté until onions are soft.
- Add curry powder and paste, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and paste, then season with salt and pepper. Pour coconut cream over and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add fish, turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until fish is cooked through.
- Add coriander leaves and serve with basmati rice. Garnish with curry leaves.
Hot Cross Muffins
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 2 cups SPAR Cake Wheat Flour
- ½ cup fruit cake mix
- ½ cup (125ml) SPAR Orange Juice
- 2⁄3 cup SPAR White Sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250ml) SPAR Milk
- ¼ cup (65ml) SPAR Sunflower Oil
- 50g SPAR Butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla essence
- 1¼ cups SPAR Icing Sugar, sifted
- 30ml (2 tablespoons) SPAR Orange Juice
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 12-hole muffin pan or line with cupcake liners.
- Place raisins in a small bowl. Pour juice over, and microwave covered (for how many minutes? until hot or heat in a small saucepan. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, mixed spice and salt. Stir in fruit mixture.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk egg, milk, oil, butter and vanilla essence. https://play.iwincdn.com/assets/ugm3_www_iwin_com/logo-notifier-927c7763f33b78f62328eefca63584b580b9966a5099a106405e7e527ca5939c.png
- Stir into flour mixture, and mix well. Pour evenly into muffin pan and bake for 20–25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and cool completely on rack.
- For the glaze, mix sugar and orange juice until smooth. Drizzle over muffins in a criss-cross pattern.
Stand a chance to WIN a R1 000 SPAR voucher. Fill out the form below and answer this question: Which of these SPAR products are your favourite?
These are sourced from traceable and audited farms and the cartons are produced from 100% recovered paper.
SPAR Coconut Milk
Derived from the flesh of the coconut, it is used as a cooking base in many recipes, particularly in the cuisine of Thailand and other South and Southeast Asian countries.
This is made from cream and salt and nothing else; there are no added preservatives or colourants! The dairy farm where the butter is produced is committed to running an environmentally sound, sustainable business.
SPAR Bakers Mix
This contains seedless raisins, golden sultanas and currants, and is cholesterol-free and low in sodium. It is ideal for baking with choice grade fruit that will sweeten any cake.
Conveniently packed in an Elopak carton, it’s easy to pour and store. The resealable cap ensures that ants won’t get in while the fully recyclable carton contributes to a greener environment.
SPAR Baby Hake
The value-for-money 1kg pack contains cleaned fish that is individually frozen with the skin on and bone in.
To stand a chance to win tickets to the screening, enter the form below. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter.
THIS COMPETITION IS CLOSED.
1. Competition closes on the 22 April 2018.
2. There is a limit of five entries per user.
3. No under 18s are allowed to enter.
4. The overall winners will be chosen in a random draw and will be notified by email.
5. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
6. Winners will be disqualified if they are unable to provide us with all requested information, including an ID number.
7. Entry information will not be shared with any third party without the entrant’s prior knowledge and consent.
8. The competition is open to South African residents only.
9. The competition is not open to employees of Caxton and their immediate families, the prize sponsors or their respective advertising agencies and PR companies.
10. The prize(s) will go to the first name(s) selected at random after the closing date.
11. Caxton Magazines reserves the right to publish the name(s) and/or photograph(s) of the winner(s).
12. Prize(s) are not transferable and may not be exchanged for cash.
13. Unclaimed prizes will not be resent. Caxton Magazines reserves the right to redistribute all unclaimed prizes.
14. When the same competition is offered across different titles in Caxton Magazines’ stable during the same month, an individual may enter the competition through more than one magazine, but will only be awarded one prize should the individual be selected through the random draw as a winner for the same competition across more than one of Caxton Magazines’ titles.