We recently caught up with Mi Casa’s lead singer, J’Something, at the Good Food & Wine Festival media launch in Joburg. He spoke about his love for food, and shared three quick and easy meals to prepare if you have no time to cook.
1.When did your passion for cooking start?
I have always enjoyed food and cooking. This comes from my mother and father, who both worked in the food industry for years. My mother owned a restaurant for over 15 years, and my dad worked for Sun International hotels as head of food and beverage.
2. Are you a qualified chef?
(Laughs) No. I have a lot of passion, but no qualifications.
3. What are your top three favourite restaurants?
Urbanologi, Craft and The Great Eastern Food Bar – all in Joburg.
4. You already have a cooking show on TV. What else would you still like to do in the food industry?
I would like to have my own cookbook, which I’m currently working on.
5. What dish would you recommend to cure a hangover?
I recommend huevos rancheros from Craft restaurant – The basic dish consists of fried eggs served upon lightly fried corn tortillas, topped with a tomato-chili sauce, refried beans, Mexican-style rice and slices of avocado or guacamole.
6. What tip would you give to a guy planning to cook for his girlfriend for the first time?
Just cook with love. She just wants to see effort.
7. Which three quick and easy meals would you suggest to a guy who is always on the go?
Roast chicken, spaghetti bolognese and a good omelette.