Makes 6 large scones
280g cake flour
15ml baking powder
Pinch of salt
60g cold butter, diced
250ml grated parmesan cheese
100g Pitted Green Buffet Olives, chopped
100g Pitted Kalamata-Style Buffet Olives, chopped
80ml fresh chopped parsley and basil
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the butter, then rub into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the parmesan, chopped olives and herbs.
- Whisk together the eggs and buttermilk then set aside 2 tablespoons of the mixture for glazing the scones. Pour the rest of the mixture into the dry ingredients, then combine to form a dough.
- Tip onto a floured surface, pat out to 3cm thickness, then use a round cutter to cut the scones. You’ll need to gather the dough and re-cut until you have 6 scones.
- Place onto a greased tray, then brush with the reserved liquid before baking in the oven for 25 minutes.
“Tea time is never quite complete without the addition of a scone, but I’ve always preferred savoury cheese scones to the classic sweet ones. Changing up my cheese scone recipe to incorporate olives was a complementary addition. The olives add a deep earthy, briny flavour to the scones, making each bite the perfect savoury morsel”, said Zola.