Make the perfect meringue by following these easy steps by Ntwenhle Gcabashe Picture by Dylan Swart
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- Chocolate, for serving
- Mint leaves, for serving
- Crushed nuts, for serving
- Cocoa, for serving
- Preheat oven to 100C.
- With electric beater, whisk egg white until soft peak forms in a bowl.
- Gradually add sugar, whisking well between each addition, until sugar dissolves. Continue to whisk on high for 2–3 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Spoon the mixture onto non-stick baking mat.
- Bake for 1 ½ -2 hours until cooked through. Turn oven off and leave meringues in the oven to cool completely.
- Dip each meringue into chocolate sauce and let it set.
- Serve with chocolate sauce, mint leaves, crushed nuts and cocoa