More and more women are taking up cycling because of its major health benefits. It increases your endurance and strength, leaving you feeling healthier and happier. Additionally, doctors recommend at least 30 minutes of cycling a day to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Here are other benefits:
1. It burns calories – Hours after getting off the bike, your metabolic rate continues to burn calories at a higher rate. This will result in you losing weight.
2. Builds muscle – Pedalling strengthens and tones your glutes, hamstrings, calves and quads. Pedalling on a recumbent bike tones your arms, shoulders and back. You’ll have toned buttocks, arms and legs.
3. It improves your cardiovascular function – Your heart rate and blood flow increase, resulting in stronger and healthier organs. This lowers your risk of getting illnesses such as heart disease, cancer and diabetes.
4. It improves brain health – Cycling increases the production of new brain cells and neurotransmitters – chemical messengers. This leads to a healthier and faster functioning brain. Your memory, concentration and problem-solving skills will improve significantly.
5. It’s a low-impact exercise – Unlike running, cycling puts little pressure on your knees, ankles, hips and joints. This prevents knee and joint injuries.
6. It improves your sleep – Cycling helps to reduce the stress hormone, cortisol, in your body. This leads to a good-quality sleep, a plus if you suffer from insomnia.
7. It improves your mood – Exercising in general releases feel-good endorphins. Releasing them counteracts stress, leaving you feeling happy and good about yourself.
8. It boosts your energy – When you cycle regularly, your endurance and stamina will increase. This, in turn, increases your ability to stay productive for longer.
Start cycling and enjoy a healthier and happier life!