By Vuyi Mpofu
Sometimes we need a reminder of the basic road rules. You know just so that we don’t develop bad driving habits which could pose a danger to ourselves and other road users.
Here are a few safety tips that we should all keep in mind any time we get behind the wheel of a car:
- Always wear your seat belt and ensure that all passengers are strapped in. It’s so frustrating to see parents bucked up whilst their kids bounce dangerously up and down in the rear, hang out of the window or press their little noses up against the dashboard. Seat belts save lives.
- Keep a safe following distance between your car and the one in front of you so as to give yourself time and space to manoeuvre in the event of an emergency.
- Keep your eyes, hands and full attention on the road at all times. Distracted driving is just plain silly and could cost you your life. It’s not worth it!
- Avoid engaging in any type of road rage. Try to keep cool, calm and collected even when another driver cuts you off or rides your bumper. It’s better to take the high road and give the aggressor right of way so they can get as far away from you as possible!
- When driving behind a truck, always make sure that you can see the truck’s side mirrors. If you can’t see them then chances are you are driving too closely behind the truck. If you can see the side mirrors then chances are that the truck driver will be able to see you. Unlike passenger cars and bakkies, trucks do not have rear-view mirrors meaning truckers can only see what’s behind them through the side mirrors.
No matter what is going on in your mind, be conscious of your need to be vigilant each time you get into the driver’s seat.
Road safety is everyone’s responsibility and you owe it to yourself and family to stay alive.