A yummy anytime treat, these delicious sticky mini cakes by Ntwenhle Gcabashe are quick and easy to make.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup (250ml) oil
- 2 tablespoons treacle
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- ½ cup stem ginger in syrup
- Thick cream, for serving
- Mint leaves, for serving
- ½ cup butter
- 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) dark rum
- Preheat the oven to 180°
- In a bowl, mix flour, bicarbonate of soda, sugar, ginger and cinnamon.
- Whisk eggs, yolk, oil, treacle, milk and stem ginger in a separate bowl. Pour over dry ingredients. Mix well, and pour into individual oven ramekins.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes or until cooked through.
- For the sauce, mix all ingredients together. Heat in a saucepan until dissolved. Pour over cake while hot. Serve with thick cream and mint leaves.
SEE ALSO: Apple and clove dumplings