Try these easy and delicious midweek meals from SPAR – they’ll suit your busy lifestyle and taste buds, too. Plus, stand a chance to WIN a R1 000 SPAR voucher!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
• 1 x 400g packet SPAR Ready Rolled Puff Pastry, defrosted
• 8 chicken thighs
• 3 tablespoons SPAR Cake Wheat Flour
• 4 tablespoons (60ml) SPAR Sunflower Oil
• 8 rashers SPAR Butcher’s Best Streaky Bacon, cut into large pieces
• 1 onion, sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• ½ green pepper, sliced
• ½ red pepper, sliced
• 2 x 285g cans SPAR Creamed Mushrooms
• Handful sprigs thyme
• 1 cup (250ml) Chicken Stock (2 SPAR Chicken Stock Cubes mixed in 250ml hot water)
• 1 cup (250ml) SPAR Long Life Cream
• 1 egg, beaten
• 500g SPAR Choice Grade Frozen Country Mix, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 220°C.
2. Heat oil in a frying pan. Coat chicken with flour and fry until golden brown, turning occasionally. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Add bacon and fry until crispy. Add onion, garlic, peppers, mushrooms and thyme. Fry for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in chicken stock and cream. Add chicken and simmer for 20 minutes. Spoon into a large pie or baking dish (20cmx30cm), and leave to cool.
5. Roll out pastry on a floured surface. Using a rolling pin, lift over chicken mixture. Gently press the edges with your fingers and trim with a knife. Brush with egg.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until pastry rises and is dark golden brown. Serve with vegetables.
FRUITY CRÈME BRÛLÉE
Prep time: 10 minutes plus
2 hours refrigeration time
Cooking time: 50 minutes
• 1 x 410g can SPAR Peach Slices, drained and finely diced
• 3 cups (750ml) SPAR Long Life Cream
• ¼ cup SPAR White Sugar
• 3 large eggs
• 2 large egg yolks
• 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla essence
• Boiling water
• SPAR Castor Sugar, to dust
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Evenly add peach slices to 6 ramekin dishes and set aside.
2. In a heavy-based saucepan, boil cream.
3. In a large bowl, whisk sugar, eggs and yolks until light and frothy. Fold in hot cream, and strain into the saucepan.
4. With a wooden spoon, stir over low heat until it coats the back of the spoon. Add vanilla essence.
5. Evenly add to the ramekins, and set in a baking dish. Pour hot water into the dish until it reaches 2/3 way up the sides of the ramekins. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Remove from water bath and cool down slightly. Cover and refrigerate until chilled or for about 2 hours.
7. To serve, preheat the grill. Sift a light layer of castor sugar over crème brûlée and place under the grill until caramelised. Serve immediately.
SPAR Creamed Mushrooms
The finest quality mushrooms, they make the perfect accompaniment to most meat dishes. They can even be eaten on their own. They’re easy and convenient; simply heat and eat!
SPAR Choice Grade Country Mix
A mix of carrot roundels, broccoli and cauliflower florets as well as cut green beans. No waste from peeling and chopping, so they last longer without spoiling. These frozen vegetables only have to cook for a short period of time compared to fresh vegetables. The best part is that frozen vegetables are always in season.
SPAR Peach Slices in Syrup
These delicious, skinless peach slices are soaked in light syrup. Serve them topped with custard, yoghurt or cream and a light dusting of ground cinnamon.
SPAR Long Life Cream
This cream whips perfectly when chilled and is ideal for cakes and puddings.
SPAR Ready Rolled Puff Pastry
A convenient ready-to-use product at a great price. Layers of light and flaky pastry suitable for any dish.
Stand a chance to WIN a R1 000 SPAR voucher. Simply fill out the form and answer the question below:
- Competition closes on the 18th of March 2018.
- There is a limit of five entries per user.
- No under 18s are allowed to enter.
- The overall winners will be chosen in a random draw and will be notified by email.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winners will be disqualified if they are unable to provide us with all requested information, including an ID number.
- Entry information will not be shared with any third party without the entrant’s prior knowledge and consent.
- The competition is open to South African residents only.
- The competition is not open to employees of Caxton and their immediate families, the prize sponsors or their respective advertising agencies and PR companies.
- The prize(s) will go to the first name(s) selected at random after the closing date.
- Caxton Magazines reserves the right to publish the name(s) and/or photograph(s) of the winner(s).
- Prize(s) are not transferable and may not be exchanged for cash.
- Unclaimed prizes will not be resent. Caxton Magazines reserves the right to redistribute all unclaimed prizes.
- When the same competition is offered across different titles in Caxton Magazines’ stable during the same month, an individual may enter the competition through more than one magazine, but will only be awarded one prize should the individual be selected through the random draw as a winner for the same competition across more than one of Caxton Magazines’ titles.