DJ Somebody shows Ntwenhle Gcabashe how to prepare his flavourful oxtail.
Pictures Dylan Swart
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 5 hours
- 2kg oxtail
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spices
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Handful fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup (250ml) red wine
- 4 cups (1ℓ) beef stock
- 2 small naartjies, peeled and segmented
- Salt and pepper
- Creamy mashed potato, for serving
- Fresh thyme, for serving
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Brown meat for 8–10 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Fry onion, garlic and ginger.
- Add cinnamon, spices, tomato paste, herbs, meat, zest, bay leaves, wine, stock and naatjies. Cover with a lid, and slow cook on low heat for 5 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove meat from the liquid and turn up the heat to reduce the juices. Season to taste.
- Serve with mashed potato and thyme.