This Nelson Mandela month, we want to you to feel the warmth and love of Madiba, by trying this quick and easy soup recipe which was one of his favourite dishes – of course we’ve added a twist.
By Ntwenhle Gcabashe Photography by DYLAN SWART
SEE ALSO: Pea and Frankfurter Soup
SWEET POTATO & SPINACH SOUP
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20–25 minutes
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) butter
- 1 cup leek, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 medium sweet potato, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- Handful fresh spinach, chopped
- 4 cups (1L) vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
- Fresh thyme, for serving
- Cream, for serving
SEE ALSO: Beetroot & chicken soup
- In a large saucepan, heat butter. Fry leeks and garlic until fragrant.
- Add vegetables, sauté for 4–5 minutes.
- Add stock. Cover with a lid and cook until soft.
- Blend well and add peanut butter. Mix well.
- Serve with thyme leaves and cream.