These summer salads will keep you healthy and guarantee to wow your love ones too.
By Ntwenhle Gcabashe
Pictures by: Dylan Swart
GARLIC TOMATO AND BRINJAL SALAD
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 whole tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup vine tomatoes
- 2 large brinjals, sliced
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) oil
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) balsamic vinegar
- Handful fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 handful baby spinach
- ½ cup Ricotta cheese
- ½ cup Feta cheese
- Handful fresh mint leaves
- Toasted bread, for serving
- 6 tablespoons (60ml) oil
- 6 tablespoons (60ml) natural yoghurt
- 6 tablespoons ( 60ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200˚C.
- Place garlic, tomatoes, vine tomatoes, brinjals and thyme onto a roasting tray. Drizzle over oil and vinegar and roast for 25–30 minutes or until soft.
- Arrange spinach, cheese, mint leaves on a salad platter. Top with grilled garlic, tomatoes and brinjals slices.
- In a jug, mix oil, yoghurt, vinegar and honey. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve salad with dressing and toast.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Cajun spices
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) oil
- Salt and pepper
- ½ head broccoli, florets and steamed
- Handful green beans, steamed
- Asparagus, steamed
- Blue cheese, for serving
- 2 boiled egg, for serving
- ½ red apple slices, for serving
- Basil pesto, for serving
- In a bowl, mix garlic, Cajun spices, lemon juice and oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken and marinade for 15–20 minutes.
- Heat griddle pan. Fry chicken for 8–10 minutes on each side.
- Serve with vegetables, blue cheese, boiled eggs, apple slices and pesto.