Make the perfect (and authentic) red velvet cake with this great recipe from Ntwenhle Gcabashe
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 cups cake flour
- 250g butter, softened
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 6 eggs
- 2 small bottles red colouring
- 1 cup raw beetroot, finely grated
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- 2 cups smooth cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup icing sugar
SEE ALSO: Lemon coconut cake
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Cream butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, food colouring, beetroot and yoghurt. Pour over dry ingredients. Mix well. Spoon into two lightly greased cake tins.
- Bake until set and then allow cakes to cool.
- Mix icing ingredients together. Spoon and spread over cake.
- Serve with mixed berries.
You’ll love this Rich chocolate pudding