This flavourful rich lamb stew recipe is the perfect Sunday lunch meal for the whole family.
By Ntwenhle Gcabashe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
- 5 cups lamb, boneless and cubed
- 1 cup (250ml) stout
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 cups (750ml) beef stock
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- 1 kg baby potatoes
- Cooked butter beans, for serving
- Handful fresh coriander, for serving
- Heat butter in a large saucepan. Put in meat and brown for 5 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic and fry until soft.
- Add tomato paste and tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes
- Add stout, stock and herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and simmer for 1½ hours or until meat is tender.
- Add potatoes and cook for another 15–20 minutes.
- Mix with butter beans and serve with fresh coriander.