A hot and tasty meal for busy weekdays
By Ntwenhle Gcabashe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 6 sardines, washed and cleaned
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon hot curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- Salt and pepper
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Steamed asparagus, for serving
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Fry onion and ginger until fragrant.
- Add garam masala, curry powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, tomato paste and water. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add sardines and parsley (reserve some for serving). Cover with a lid and cook for 10–12 minutes or until cooked through.
- Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Serve with asparagus and lemon wedges.