Now you can make doughnuts just the way your favourite childhood ones were made, by following this simple recipe by Ntwenhle Gcabashe.
Photography by Dylan Swart
Prep time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Cooking time: 4 minutes
- 4 cups cake flour
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 1 sachet yeast
- ½ cup (125ml) butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) warm water
- Oil, for frying
- Toffee sauce, for serving
- 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup icing sugar
- Mix flour, castor sugar and yeast in a large bowl.
- Stir in butter, eggs and water. Mix to form sticky dough. Knead for 5-10 minutes or until smooth.
- Leave dough in a warm place for 30 minutes to rise or until doubled in size.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface and cut with a round floured biscuit cutter.
- Place donuts on baking sheets. Set in a warm place for 30 minutes to rise or until puffy and nearly double in size.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Fry donuts for 1–2 minutes on each side, turning a few times, or until light-golden brown and cooked through.
- Mix dusting ingredients in a small bowl. Dust doughnuts with mixture and serve with toffee sauce.