Try this mouth-watering, step-by-step cinnamon roll recipe. By Ntwenhle Gcabashe Pictures Dylan Swart
Glazed Chocolate Cinnamon Roll
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 5 cups cake flour
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (250ml) warm milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125ml) butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, soften
- 1 cup chocolate chip
- 1 cup cream cheese
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C. Grease and line tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, yeast, salt, milk, eggs and butter. Knead for 8–10 minutes or until smooth.
3. Place dough on floured surface and roll out.
4. Mix cinnamon and butter. Spread on dough. Sprinkle with chocolate chip and roll up to form sausage shape.
5. Cut into thick slices. Place onto tray and leave for 25–30 minutes to rise. Bake for 20–25 minutes or until golden.
6. In a saucepan, heat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla essence until thick.
7. Drizzle over buns, and serve.
SEE ALSO: A simple pizza base
Did you know?
Cinnamon buns originate from Sweden. Its cinnamon buns recipe differs from those of other countries because it has cardamom spice, that adds a different flavour.
On 4 October, all cafés and restaurants around the country celebrate Cinnamon Bun Day.