Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1 x 425g can SPAR Pilchards in Tomato Sauce
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Flour, for dusting
- SPAR Sunflower Oil, for frying
- Mixed salad for serving
- Sauce for serving
- Drain and mash pilchards. Keep sauce.
- Cook potatoes in boiling, salted water until soft.
- Drain, mash and mix with pilchards, eggs, onion and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Form 8 patties and dust with flour.
- Fry in hot oil until crispy and golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve with sauce and a mixed salad.
TIPS TO STRETCH YOUR MEALS
- Use the remaining sauce from pilchards can, mix in a teaspoon of crushed garlic and ½ teaspoon of chilli flakes.
- Pilchards are nutritious and rich in calcium. When you mash them, do not remove the bones because they are the source of the calcium.
- You can omit sour cream and increase the amount of the milk instead.
Choose your favourite product from the five SPAR brand products and stand a chance to win a R1 000 SPAR shopping voucher. Enter here »