Make a decadent and flavourful sweet treat with this liquorice cake recipe from Ntwenhle Gccabshe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup (80ml) liquorice colouring
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) liquorice extract
- 1 cup cocoa
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) olive oil
- 2 cups low-fat cream cheese
- ½ cup castor sugar
- Flowers, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, cocoa, salt, sugar and sweet potatoes.
- In a separate bowl, mix milk, eggs, liquorice colouring, extract and oil. Pour over dry ingredients, and mix well.
- Divide mixture into two lightly greased cake tins, and bake until cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- For frosting, mix cream cheese and castor sugar in a bowl until smooth. Spread over the top of one cake. Place remaining cake on top, and spread icing.
- Finish with flowers, and serve.