You can’t go wrong with a great soup, especially since you can freeze and enjoy it later. Try this hearty lentils and bacon soup by Ntwenhle Gcabashe. Pictures by Dylan Swart
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30–35 minutes
- 2 cup lentils
- 1 cup bacon, trimmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 leek, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, chopped
- 4 cups (1ℓ) vegetable stock
- Toasted bread slices, for serving
- Micro leaves, for serving
- Heat butter in a large saucepan, fry leek and garlic until soft.
- Add bacon, tomato, lentils, sweet potato and stock.
- Cover with a lid, and cook until lentils and sweet potato are soft.
- Serve with bread and micro leaves.