Prep time: 40 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes Serves: 6
For the ‘Swiss Rolls’
- 12 slices ALBANY Superior White Bread
- soft butter, for spreading
- 1 cup (250ml) apricot jam
For the citrus custard
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) cream
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons castor sugar
For the meringue
- 3 egg whites
- 180ml castor sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C. For the ‘Swiss Rolls’, spread the ALBANY Superior White Bread slices with butter and jam. Gently press the crusts flat (so they don’t crack when rolling up) and roll each up into mini Swiss rolls. Slice each in halve and layer 4 halves into 6 x 375ml ovenproof dishes.
- For the citrus custard, combine all the ingredients and pour over the ‘Swiss rolls’. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- For the meringue, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly add the sugar and beat until stiff and glossy. Spoon dollops of the meringue onto the puddings. Bake for about 20 minutes or until just set.