COOKING TIME: 2 h
CHILLING TIME: 4 h
WHAT YOU NEED:
Ingredients: For the cake layer: ¼ cup butter ⅕ cup cocoa powder 1 egg ½ cup sugar ¼ cup plain (all purpose) flour
For the fillings: 20 g powdered gelatine 8 tbsp water 4 cups milk 8 egg yolks ½ cup caster (superfine) sugar 55 g (dark) chocolate, 70% cocoa solids 1 tsp vanilla extract ⅕ cup sugar 1 ½ cups cream
To decorate: raspberries
1. For the cake layer: heat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) 350°F gas 4. Line a 20cm|8″ square tin with non-stick baking paper.
2. Melt the butter in a pan over a low heat, stir in the cocoa and remove from the heat.
3. Whisk together the egg and sugar in a mixing bowl and stir in the cocoa mixture.
4. Sift the flour over the top and gently fold in.
5. Pour into the tin and bake for 20 minutes. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Line a 2 litre loaf tin with a double layer of cling film.
7. Cut a piece of cake to fit the base of the tin and place in the tin.
8. For the fillings: place the gelatine with 6 tablespoons of water in a cup and leave to stand until spongy. Place the cup in a bowl of hot water to soften the gelatine.
9. Heat the milk in a pan to a boil. Remove from the heat.
10. Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until thick and light. Pour in the hot milk, whisking constantly, then return to the pan and stir over a low heat until the mixture thickens enough to coat the spoon lightly. Do not boil.
11. Remove from the heat and stir in the gelatine.
12. Divide the mixture between 3 bowls. Stir the chocolate into one bowl and the vanilla into the second bowl. Leave to cool.
13. Heat the sugar in a heavy-based pan until melted. Swirl the pan until a rich dark brown. Do not stir. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining water. Stir over a low heat until blended, then stir into the third bowl. Leave to cool.
14. Whisk the cream until thick.
15. Fold 125ml|1/2 cup of whipped cream into the chocolate mixture.
16. Spoon about half the mixture on top of the cake layer. Cut another slice of cake to fit the tin and place on top.
17. Fold 125ml|1/2 cup of whipped cream into the caramel mixture. Spoon about half the mixture on top of the cake layer.
18. Fold the remaing whipped cream into the vanilla mixture. Spoon about half the mixture on top of the caramel layer.
19. Cut another slice of cake to fit the tin and place on top.
20. Add the remaining chocolate mixture, a final layer of cake and top with the remaining caramel mixture, then the remaining vanilla mixture.
21. Cover with cling film and chill for at least 4 hours until set.
22. Decorate with raspberries.