Ntwenhle Gcabashe shows you how to make home-made strawberry jam, and it’s easier than you think! Pictures Hema Patel
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 90 minutes
- 2kg fresh strawberries
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) lemon juice
- 4½ cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¾ cup (195ml) water
- Scones, for serving
- Fresh cream, for serving
- Firstly, sterilise your jars and spoons by placing them in a large saucepan. Fill up with water, and boil for 25–30 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
- Mix strawberries, lemon juice, sugar, zest and water in a large heavy saucepan. Cook in low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to medium and simmer for 50–60 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Transfer jam into a sterilised jar and set aside to cool. Serve with scones and cream.