The festive season is upon us and for many parents, it’s also time for the nanny to take leave. This means having to find ways to keep your children busy on a full time basis while also enjoying your time off. This task is especially difficult if you’re not going anywhere this holiday season. So you have to create fun at home.
Dettol South Africa, has come up with a few tips to take the stress out of holiday planning and activities to keep everyone happy and healthy, whilst also keeping your wallet in check.
1. Going out – look out for activities in your area
- During the school holidays, there may be lots going on in your local area that your family can enjoy, often for free. Check the entertainment websites, or scan the local papers to see what’s going on while also getting to know your neighbors.
2. The great outdoors
- Good weather is great for simple activities like picnics and ball games. Enjoy your back garden, pick an afternoon and make a day of it.
- Get them gardening – growing plants and getting your hands dirty is great fun. There are lots of plants that even a young child can grow without too much trouble, from small trees to herbs and vegetables. Be sure to wash your dirty hands when you are done.
3. Get them cooking and baking
- Baking together is a great way of spending quality time with your kids, while also providing them with some edible treats.
- In terms of cooking, there are loads of simple recipes you can try out with your children. You can also challenge them to come up with different sandwich fillings for their lunch. Remember to wash your hands before preparing food, and clean and disinfect all surfaces.
4. Movie or dance day
- Invite some of your child’s friends over, get their favourite music, a couple of dress up items and let them dance till they drop.
- Compile a movie collection and spend the day watching all sorts of movies from comedy to cartoons, depending on how old your children are. This is an easy task because all you’ll have to do is provide drinks and healthy snacks.
5. A special treat to the mall
- Feel like a day out? Take a trip to the mall and enjoy ice cream and games at the arcade.