A churro is a fried dough pastry that is covered in sugar. This Spanish dessert is popular in Mexican and Portuguese restaurants. If you can’t get enough of this goodness, then try out this homemade chocolate churros recipe by Ntwenhle Gcabashe
Pictures Dylan Swart
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 8–10 minutes
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon castor sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- Oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons cocoa, for dusting
- Chocolate sauce, for serving
- Place water, margarine, sugar and salt in a saucepan. Let it boil until the sugar dissolves.
- Gradually add flour, and stir until well combined. Remove from heat. Add egg and vanilla extract, and mix well. Pour into a piping bag.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Drop the dough, and cut with a scissor. Let it fry until golden. Then place churros on a plate with kitchen paper to drain oil.
- Dust with cocoa and serve with chocolate sauce.