Make-up and perfume spills and leftover sweets are some of the things found in our handbags, yet we leave it for long before cleaning it. Your handbag is not just a carrier for things that you need and use daily, but a breeding ground for germs if not taken care of.
Here are 5 things to do for a germ-free handbag:
1. Clean your handbag. Clean your handbag regularly with antibacterial soap. This should involve careful cleaning of the surface, inside and outside, daily with a cloth.
2. Watch where you put it. Avoid placing your handbag in high-risk bacteria zones, such as bathroom or kitchen counters, floors and toilet seats.
SEE ALSO: 10 handbag must-haves
3. Keep your hands clean. Practise good overall hygiene. It is essential to wash your hands frequently, as they transmit most germs. Even if you sanitize after you use the toilet, bacteria remain on the outside and inner linings of your purse. The concept of washing your hands for 20 seconds with good friction after you touch your purse may seem absurd but is highly recommended.
4. Wipe it down. Wipe the items in your bag, including make-up containers and cellphone, using antibacterial wipes. Don’t forget to clean the bottom of the bag and handles. Dip your tube of lipstick in alcohol for 15 to 30 seconds and then wipe away the top layer of the lipstick to clean it properly. Leave lipstick and mascara in the freezer overnight to kill bacteria and viruses.
5. Keep food away. Avoid putting food in your bag. Rather carry it in a seperate lunch bag to avoid ruining your bag should the food spill.