Let your family indulge in SPAR Freshline’s range of baked goodies this Easter. Speckled eggs wonderfully decorate cupcakes and cakes while a range of hot cross buns rounds off an Easter feast perfectly. Recipes and styling by Claire Ferrandi Photographs by Shaun Smith
SPAR Freshline’s delicious hot cross buns are now available in five mouth-watering flavours – Raisin-free, Caramel & Chocolate, Traditional, Extra Spicy and Chocolate.
Chocolate Hot Cross Bun French Toast Stack with Crispy Bacon
Serves 4 – 6 EASY 30 mins
What you need
- French toast
- 3 SPAR eggs
- 250ml (1 cup) SPAR Long Life Cream
- pinch of salt
- 10ml vanilla essence
- 6 SPAR Freshline chocolate hot cross buns
- SPAR Butter, for frying
- SPAR Cream Cheese, to spread on the hot cross buns
- Streaky bacon, grilled until crispy, to serve
- SPAR Freshline pomegranate rubies, to garnish
- SPAR maple-flavoured syrup, to drizzle
How to do it
- 1. For the French toast, place the eggs, SPAR Long Life Cream, salt and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Slice each of the hot cross buns into 3 slices. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and add a knob of butter. Briefly dip 4 of the hot cross bun slices into the egg mixture. Turning to dip both sides of each slice. Place into the hot pan and fry about 1 minute on each side until golden. Remove from pan and stack on top of each other to keep them warm while you coat and fry the remaining slices.
- Spread each slice of French toast with cream cheese, top with crispy bacon, pomegranate rubies and a generous drizzle of maple-flavoured syrup. Serve immediately.