Our food editor, Ntwenhle Gcabashe shows you how to make this quick and delicious cottage pie. You can thank us later! Pictures Dylan Swart
Easy Cottage Pie
- 3 cups minced meat
- 2 cups pork sausage meat
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups tomato passata
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 large potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. In a frying pan, heat oil and fry onion, garlic and ginger until soft.
3. Add minced meat and sausage meat until brown.
4. Add tomato paste, passata, sugar and stock. Cover with lid and simmer for 25–30 minutes.
5. Transfer the mixture into an oven dish. Top with mashed potatoes and grated cheese.
SEE ALSO: Cooking with cabbage
Bake for 25–30 minutes or until golden.