Spice up the tried and test battered fish recipe with this new take
By Ntwenhle Gcabashe.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 7–8 minutes
- 4 cod steaks
- 1 cup (250ml) Pilsner
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 garlic clove, finely crushed
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper
- Oil, for frying
- Peas, cooked
- Potato wedges
- Spicy mayonnaise
- Lemon slices
- Sift flour and paprika into a bowl.
- Add garlic and egg. Season with salt and pepper.
- Gradually mix in beer to form a thin batter.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan.
- Dip fish steaks into batter, and place into pan. Turn only once until golden brown.
- Serve with peas, potato wedges, spicy mayonnaise, lemon slices and watercress.