By: Dorah Sitole
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 750g SPAR Chicken Livers
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) SPAR Sunflower Oil,
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can (410g) SPAR Mixed Vegetables, drained but keep liquid
- 1 cup (250ml) SPAR Chicken Stock
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) SPAR Tomato Paste
- ½ cup (125ml) cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry chicken livers for 5 minutes or until brown. Remove and keep warm. In same pan, fry onion and garlic for 10 minutes or until soft. Season with paprika, salt and pepper. Fry until soft.
- Return livers to pan. Add mixed vegetables. Combine liquid from can with beef stock, and add to mixture.
- Add tomato paste. Uncovered, simmer for 20 minutes. Add parsley and cream, simmer for 5 minutes. Serve over mashed potatoes, steamed dumplings or French bread.
TIPS TO STRETCH YOUR MEALS
- Pulses are perfect for bulking up your meals. Add them – lentils, barley or canned beans – to your meat or chicken stew.
- Minced meat can also stretch your family meals. Combine it with cooked rice, samp or pasta.
Choose your favourite product from the five SPAR brand products and stand a chance to win a R1 000 SPAR shopping voucher. Enter here »