Afro rock singer Siphokazi Buti, popularly known as Camagwini, shares her deliciously creamy butter chicken curry recipe.
Picture by: Dylan Swart
By: Ntwenhle Gcabashe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 large tomatoes, grated
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken thighs, boneless and chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- 2 cups (500ml) coconut cream
- Salt and pepper
- Handful fresh coriander, for serving
- Cooked basmati rice, for serving
- Heat butter in a large pan. Fry garlic, ginger and onion until fragrant.
- Add garam masala, cumin, turmeric, curry powder, cinnamon stick, tomatoes, paste and chicken. Let it cook for 4–5 minutes.
- Add stock and coconut cream. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid, and cook for 30–35 minutes or until thickened and cooked.
- Serve with coriander and rice