SPAR Freshline has the hero of your festive table sorted! This lemon and rosemary chicken with Christmas cake, pork, and sage stuffing will leave your family and friends speechless, and coming back for more!
Here’s how to switch up your Christmas Lunch
Lemon and Rosemary Chicken
Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 1 hour 25 minutes Serves: 4–6
- Olive oil, for frying
- 1 onion, diced
- Handful fresh sage, finely chopped
- Handful rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Minced meat from 500g pork sausages
- 1 x 350g SPAR Freshline Christmas Fruit Cake, crumbled
- ½ cup (125ml) sherry
- Salt and black pepper, for seasoning
- 1 large free-range chicken
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Large knob butter, softened
- Salt, for seasoning
- Handful fresh rosemary leaves and sprigs, chopped
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnishing
- Crispy roast potatoes, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- For stuffing, heat oil in a pan. Sauté onion, sage, and rosemary for 10 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and fry for 1 minute. Transfer into a bowl. Add minced meat, cake, and sherry. Season with salt and pepper. Stir until well mixed, and set aside.
- Place chicken in a large roasting dish. Spoon stuffing into the cavity until filled. Place any leftover stuffing aside.
- Rub chicken skin with garlic, mustard, and butter. Sprinkle with salt and rosemary. Top with lemon slices. Roast chicken and extra stuffing for 1 hour
15 minutes or until golden.
- Garnish with basil leaves. Serve with extra stuffing and roast potatoes.
Tip: You can make the stuffing a day or two earlier – simply cover and refrigerate until needed.
Read more recipes